LACP.org
..
Daily Local & Regional NewsWatch
LA Police Protective League

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.
 

Los Angeles
Police Protective League
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the union that represents the
rank and file LAPD officers

  Daily Local & Regional NewsWatch

Daily News Digest
from LA Police Protective League

May 17, 2019
Law Enforcement News

Man Accused Of Killing 2 Palm Springs Police Officers Had '21 Instances Of Intent To Kill,' Prosecutor Says
A man accused of killing two Palm Springs police officers had "21 instances of intent to kill" when he fired that many shots at police outside his family's home, a prosecutor said today, but a defense attorney argued the shots were fired irrationally in drug-induced psychosis. Felix is accused of firing an AR-15 rifle at veteran Officer Jose Gilbert Vega, 63, and rookie Officer Lesley Zerebny, 27, from inside the Felix family home in the 2700 block of Cypress Avenue on Oct. 8, 2016, killing both. "The defendant was a ticking time bomb leading up to that day," the prosecutor said. Deputy District Attorney Manny Bustamante reviewed for jurors the 37 times law enforcement had been called to the Cypress Avenue home as a result of Felix's erratic behavior, as well as the felony assault conviction already on his record. Bustamante also highlighted the moments leading up to the shooting. "He didn't shoot the mom. He didn't shoot the house," Bustamante said, recounting the minutes before Margarita Felix -- the defendant's mother -- called law enforcement to the house for a domestic disturbance stemming from her hostile son. "He knew his limits." 
NBC 4

Jury Clears LAPD Officers In $12.5-Million Lawsuit Over Man Who Swallowed Heroin
A federal jury recently ruled five Los Angeles police officers were not liable in a $12.5-million lawsuit over a man who died after swallowing 26 grams of heroin during an arrest, City Atty. Mike Feuer announced Thursday. On June 9, 2016, two officers arrested Alex Aguilar for violating terms of a gang injunction in the Wilmington area of Los Angeles. While undergoing a strip search at the Harbor Division station, Aguilar, 42, swallowed the drugs and resisted arrest, Feuer said in a statement. He lost consciousness after officers subdued him. Two other officers and paramedics attempted to revive Aguilar, but the efforts failed. Aguilar died from asphyxiation after the heroin became lodged in his throat, the statement said. Besides the heroin, methamphetamine and alcohol contributed to Aguilar's death, the coroner ruled. Aguilar's children accused five officers, which included a sergeant, of wrongful death, excessive force and improper medical treatment. The jury rejected all the claims against the officers.
Los Angeles Times

After 5-Year-Old Shot In Park, LAPD And Community Partner On Peace Rally
Police and city officials led a community peace march and rally late this afternoon at the park in the Vermont Square section of South Los Angeles where a 5-year-old girl and three other people were wounded in a drive-by shooting. "Tonight we stand with local civic leaders, community leaders, and the residents of South Los Angeles at Vermont Square Park with one message...enough is enough," Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore tweeted after the march. "We are committed to working together to stop the plague of violence that is tragically affecting this community." The march and vigil were held to address "the violence that has plagued this area,'' according to a police statement. Gunfire was reported about 8 p.m. Tuesday at Vermont Square Park near 47th Street and Budlong Avenue, according to Officer Drake Madison of the Los Angeles Police Department's Media Relations Section. At least 10 shots were fired, the LAPD said. The child sustained a gunshot wound to the back. She and the other victims were conscious and breathing when taken to a hospital, Madison said.
NBC 4

Video Released In Search For South L.A. Attempted Kidnapping Suspect
Investigators on Thursday released video in the search for a woman accused to trying to abduct a 4-year-old boy in South Los Angeles. The incident, which occurred around 11:15 a.m. Wednesday near the corner of Martin Luther King Boulevard and San Pedro Street, is the second case this week in which L.A. police have sought the public's help identifying the suspect. Wednesday night, 33-year-old Maralyn Ramos was arrested after allegedly being caught on video kidnapping another 4-year-old boy in a downtown L.A. McDonald's the day before. Detectives had earlier said they believed Ramos was behind both incidents, but now they say the cases are unrelated and there's no connection between the suspects. In the South L.A. incident, the woman approached the young victim, pulled his hand and tried to walk away with him, police said in a news release.
KTLA 5

Suspects Detained After Aircraft, Including Sky5, Struck By Laser Beams In South L.A.
Police detained a group of people Friday after several aircraft, including KTLA's Sky5, were struck by laser beams over South Los Angeles on Thursday evening. The incident began about 10:25 p.m., when both green and red laser beams emanating from the area of Washington Boulevard and Griffith Avenue repeatedly hit Sky 5. A police helicopter was also allegedly struck by the beams. A group of people seen shining the lasers drove off before police arrived, but officers soon spotted the car and pulled it over nearby. Three people were taken into custody, and officers were seen taking possession of two laser pointers. Shining lasers at aircraft is a federal crime.
KTLA 5

Woman Arrested In Attempted Kidnapping Of 4-Year-Old In Los Angeles
A woman suspected of attempting to kidnap a 4-year-old Los Angeles has been arrested, authorities said Thursday. Maralyn Ramos, 33, was arrested around 10:45 p.m. Wednesday night, according to the Los Angeles Police Department. Details about the arrest were not immediately available. According to LAPD, on May 14, Ramos approached a 4-year-old at the McDonald's located at 1310 E. Olympic Boulevard. Video surveillance showed the woman pick up the child and attempt to leave with him in a vehicle parked outside. Authorities said that a witness stopped the woman, and she ran off before police arrived. Ramos was booked on charges of kidnapping. Her bail was set at $100,000. Anyone with information on the case was urged to call 213-486-6840 to speak with Detective Arroyo or Detective Moreno; 877-LAPD-247; or Crime Stoppers at 800-222-TIPS or at 
lacrimestoppers.org

FOX 11

North Hollywood Teacher's Aide Accused Of Inappropriately Touching Several Students
Police Thursday were investigating allegations made by several students that they were inappropriately touched by a teacher's aide at Oxnard Street Elementary School in North Hollywood. Los Angeles police were at Oxnard Street Elementary Thursday morning interviewing seven or eight students who told school officials that they were inappropriately touched by the male aide, parents told CBS2. One mother, who did not want to be identified, told CBS2 she received a phone call from Principal Kenny Yau Wednesday evening informing her that her daughter was one of the students who had made the allegations. She explained that her daughter and her friends were talking one day when they discovered they had all been inappropriately touched by the same aide.
CBS 2

Pacific Division Jail Will Reopen Thursday Night Following Bedbug Infestation
A Los Angeles Police Department jail on the Westside will reopen Thursday night following a bed bug infestation that forced several inmates to be relocated, officials said. The facility at LAPD's Pacific Division station near Culver City was closed on Wednesday after bed bugs were found infesting one of the jail cells, according to a written statement. City workers sprayed the jail on Wednesday. After an inspection, vacuuming and a second spraying Thursday, the jail will begin accepting more inmates at around 6:30 p.m., said Lt. Thomas Mason, officer-in-charge of the 77th Street station jail. Given the numbers of people who are housed in LAPD's jails every night, Mason said infestations like these are not uncommon. Even in the Pacific Division jail, which he said only has a few inmates each night, finding bed bugs at some point was inevitable.
Los Angeles Daily News

Synagogue Shooting Suspect Pleads Not Guilty To Hate Crimes
The man suspected of killing a woman in a shooting at a Southern California synagogue pleaded not guilty to federal hate crime charges Tuesday. John T. Earnest spoke twice during the brief hearing to acknowledge his name and to say he agreed with his court-appointed attorney's decision against seeking bail. Earnest, 19, is charged with bursting into the Chabad of Poway synagogue on April 27 and opening fire with an assault rifle, killing one and injuring three. Peter Ko, an assistant U.S. attorney, told the judge that the government had not decided whether to seek the death penalty. He reaffirmed plans to try Earnest separately and simultaneously with a state charge of murder that is classified as a hate crime, which also exposes Earnest to a potential death sentence. 
Associated Press

Suspect Arrested In 1974 Bay Area Slaying Using Same DNA Testing As Golden State Killer Case
A suspect was arrested in a March 1974 killing in California after investigators used the same advanced DNA testing that helped crack the Golden State Killer case, authorities said Thursday. John Arthur Getreu, 75, was arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting and strangling 21-year-old Janet Ann Taylor, the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office announced. Taylor was last seen alive attempting to hitchhike from Palo Alto to her home in nearby La Honda. Her body was found along a busy street. Getreu was already in custody in Santa Clara County after being charged last year with sexually assaulting and strangling Leslie Perlov, another 21-year-old woman, in 1973. Investigators previously believed the killings of Perlov and Taylor were connected. But their cases had gone unsolved until DNA testing evolved enough to deliver credible results from the degraded DNA collected at both killing scenes.
KTLA 5

CHP Cites Almost 20,000 Drivers In April For Illegally Talking On Cellphones
Law enforcement agencies have repeatedly waged education campaigns on the dangers of phoning while driving, but in April the California Highway Patrol still cited more drivers for failing to use hands-free devices than in the previous April. CHP officers wrote 19,850 of those tickets statewide last month, which was designated Distracted Driving Awareness Month, an increase of about 700 over the same period last year. That total does not include tickets written by other law enforcement agencies. California has had distracted-driving laws since 2008. Drivers are not allowed to hold a wireless telephone or other electronic-communications device while operating a vehicle. Drivers under age 18 are not allowed to use cellphones for any reason while driving. The CHP identified other distracted-driving practices, not included in the nearly 20,000 citations, such as eating, grooming, applying makeup, reaching for fallen objects, using a vehicle's touchscreen, knobs, dials or buttons and changing clothes.
Los Angeles Daily News

Public Safety News

West Hollywood Residents Forced To Flee Burning Apartment Building
Residents of a West Hollywood apartment complex woke up to smoke alarms as a Thursday morning fire burned through the building. Firefighters got a call just before 4:30 a.m. about smoke showing from a multi-unit structure in the 900 block of North Sweetzer Avenue, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Fire Department stated. A man who lives in the apartment where the fire started said he was sleeping when his smoke alarms went off and he realized what was happening. The resident, who is on crutches because of a broken leg, then fled his apartment and went door-to-door warning others to leave the building. Sky 5 was over the scene, where flames could be seen shooting out of the apartment's windows. Firefighters had the flames out by about 4:56 a.m., the spokesperson said. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
KTLA 5

Local Government News

LA County Approves $460 Million In Homeless Initiatives
The five elected officials who govern Los Angeles County today approved $460 million in Measure H spending on homelessness, increasing their commitment to the problem in the face of a widely anticipated rise in the numbers of people without a permanent home. Prior to the vote, the Board of Supervisors gathered on the steps of the downtown Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration to underline the county's determination to find permanent solutions for thousands of people living in encampments on city streets and empty lots. "The scale of this crisis is overwhelming," Supervisor Janice Hahn said. "We cannot and will not accept this as the new normal." The results of the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority point-in- time count of homelessness will not be publicly available until May 31, but all indications are that the trend will be up, perhaps dramatically.
NBC 4
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About the LAPPL Formed in 1923, the Los Angeles Police Protective League (LAPPL) represents the more than 9,900 dedicated and professional sworn members of the Los Angeles Police Department. The LAPPL serves to advance the interests of LAPD officers through legislative and legal advocacy, political action and education. The LAPPL can be found on the Web at:

www.LAPD.com


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~