LACP.org
..
Daily Local & Regional NewsWatch
LA Police Protective League

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
.
 

Los Angeles
Police Protective League
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the union that represents the
rank and file LAPD officers

  Daily Local & Regional NewsWatch

Daily News Digest
from LA Police Protective League

June 3, 2021
Law Enforcement News

LAPD Rescues Child Left Inside Hot Car In North Hollywood
A woman is in custody after police say her child was left inside a hot car for possibly up to 45 minutes in North Hollywood Wednesday. LAPD officers from the North Hollywood Division responded to a call in the 10700 block of Magnolia Boulevard. The child is in good health and LAPD playfully said after the rescue that one of the officers was assigned babysitting duties. Officials did not say why the mom left the child in the car for that long in the first place. 
FOX 11

Double Murderer Who Killed Two Teens In LA To Be Released From San Quentin
A gang member and double murderer convicted in the shooting and killing of two teenagers at a party in Los Angeles more than thirty years ago is set to be released from San Quentin on Monday. Howard Elwin Jones has been imprisoned at San Quentin state prison since 1991 for the December 1988 shooting and killing of 18-year-old Chris Baker and another boy at a party in Rowland Heights. Jones was denied parole in 2015 and 2017 but at his third parole hearing in February, he was found to be suitable for parole by the state at a hearing that prosecutors weren't allowed to attend as part of new District Attorney George Gascón's reforms. She received a letter notifying her of Jones' scheduled release on Wednesday morning from the California Dept. of Corrections. Baker's family told FOX 11 that Jones, an active gang member at the time who was just hours away from his 18th birthday, showed up to the party armed with a gun, and confronted a boy who was wearing a red Santa hat, which he had interpreted as a symbol of the bloods gang. "The boy said, please don't shoot me, and started to walk away," Baker's sister told FOX 11 back in February. "And that's when Mr. Jones fired at him, and the crowd dispersed and as they dispersed, my brother, in the chaos, ended up running alongside [the boy], and they both died as a result of their injuries."
FOX 11

One Killed, Another Injured at Gas Station Shooting in South LA
Two people were shot at a gas station early Thursday morning in South LA. One of those victims has died, LAPD says. Police say officers found two people suffering from gunshot wounds. The first victim, a man in his 30s, died at the scene and the second victim, a man between 25-30 years old, was taken to the hospital in unknown condition, according to LAPD.
NBC 4

Feud Between Firefighters Led To Shooting At Agua Dulce Fire Station, Detectives Say
The shooting at a Los Angeles County fire station in Agua Dulce in which one firefighter killed a colleague and critically wounded a captain was the culmination of a work dispute that escalated over time, detectives said Wednesday. Lt. Brandon Dean of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Homicide Bureau said authorities are trying to work through details of the dispute, seeking paperwork from the Fire Department's human resources office and conducting interviews. Dean said firefighter Jonathan Tatone came to Fire Station 81 on Tuesday morning and fatally shot colleague Tory Carlon. The captain of the station heard the shot and came down to the scene, where he was wounded by Tatone, Dean said. The captain was in critical but stable condition at a hospital and has not yet been interviewed by detectives. Tatone was found dead in an apparent suicide at his home in nearby Acton. Law enforcement sources said Tatone and Carlon worked at the station but on different shifts and had been clashing for some time over operations and other issues. “We do believe there was some disagreement over work performance and work-related issues,” Dean said Wednesday. “How long it has been going on we don't know yet.” 
Los Angeles Times

Person Of Interest Identified In West Los Angeles Vandalism Investigation
The Los Angeles Police Department Wednesday circulated images of a man identified as a person of interest in a West Los Angeles vandalism investigation. The man was recorded carrying cardboard boxes containing bricks and pieces of concrete near Westwood Boulevard and Pico Boulevard, though he was not identified as a suspect in any specific instances of vandalism, according to Officer Mike Lopez of the LAPD Media Relations Division. Anyone with information of the man's identity was asked to call the LAPD West Los Angeles Station at 310-444-0701. Calls made during non-business hours or on weekends can be made to 877-527-3247. Anonymous tips can be called in to Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477 or submitted online at lacrimestoppers.org .
MyNewsLA.com

LASD Reports 95% Increase In Homicides Compared To Same Time Period In 2020
Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva released startling numbers about the increase in crime over the last year. According to Villanueva, Los Angeles County reported a 95% increase in homicides compared to the same time period in 2020. In addition, the county is also seeing a 40% increase in grand theft auto and a 7.8% increase in rape. In the wake of the county's increase in violent crimes, the Sheriff said during Wednesday's briefing that LASD will allow residents a chance to apply for concealed weapon permits (CCW). 
FOX 11

More Than $60M In Meth, Cocaine Seized In One Of LA County's Biggest Drug Busts
Authorities made one of the largest drug busts in Los Angeles County history recently, seizing meth and cocaine with a street value of nearly $60 million, officials say. The bust happened in May in eastern Los Angeles County according to Culver City police. Multiple agencies were involved in investigating a major drug-trafficking organization and served search warrants that resulted in the seizure of 2,500 pounds of methamphetamine and 200 kilograms of cocaine. Culver City police say it was one of the largest drug seizures in county history.
ABC 7

FBI Offers $30,000 Reward For Information Leading To Suspects In Murder Of Bank Teller
24 Years Ago Monica Leech was a bank teller but she had only worked at the bank in the Thousand Oaks, transferring to the location because it was one of the safest cities in America. The Western Financial bank isn't there anymore. It's gone, but the Ventura County Sheriff is convinced those who took her life are not. The mother of two was murdered on April 28, 1997. "These kids have grown up without their mom and now they have children and now they have kids," said Floyd Leech, her husband. "The kids will never get to know their grandmother." Monica Leech, 39, was just helping customers at the bank when two men wearing hard hats and reflective vests stormed the bank. The Ventura County Sheriff's Department said Leech did every thing the robbers asked. She didn't resist. She helped open the safe for them. But still they handcuffed and shot her in the back of the head. The handcuffs they used may now help to catch her killers. The smallest traces of DNA from handcuffs and other evidence could help close the enormous loss. The FBI is offering a $30,000 reward for information on the arrests of the two suspects. "I am hopeful," Leech said. "I am encouraged."
NBC 4

Fatal Crash Numbers ‘Out Of Control' Due To Pandemic Speeding
Deadly crashes are on the rise in the Antelope Valley, more than double the rate of past years. The main culprit: speeding. In part it's fueled by roads that were nearly empty during the pandemic. "Our fatality numbers throughout the Antelope Valley are out of control," says Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department traffic investigator Matthew Davis. The Antelope Valley in 2020 saw 94 fatal crashes that resulted in 102 deaths, he says. This year is looking equally grim, with 44 fatal crashes already. The Lancaster and Palmdale sheriff's stations are teaming with the California Highway Patrol to crack down on speeders, setting up speed traps to bust anyone with a lead foot. CHP patrols the freeways and unincorporated areas of the high desert. During the worst of the pandemic empty roads and freeways led to some drivers feeling like they were on a race track. Now that things are opening back up, law enforcement is on a mission in the Antelope Valley to get you to back off pushing the pedal to the metal.
ABC 7

18-Year-Old Man Shot To Death In Lancaster In Broad Daylight; 4 Sought
Sheriff's deputies are searching for four people in connection with the shooting death of an 18-year-old man in Lancaster on Tuesday afternoon. The victim was confronted by four males while walking eastbound in the 600 block of Lancaster Boulevard around 2 p.m., according to a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department news release. They got into an argument and then, at some point, the teenager was shot at least once, investigators said. The assailants fled the scene on foot. Deputies from the sheriff's Lancaster station responded and located the young man with a gunshot wound. He died after being taken to a local hospital. Authorities have not released his name. An investigation is ongoing, and anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the sheriff's Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500.
KTLA 5

Authorities Searching For 17-Year-Old Male Last Seen In Lancaster
Authorities are searching for 17-year-old Anakin Hamilton who went missing in the Lancaster area on Monday. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department asked for the public's help locating Hamilton. He is a 17-year-old Black male who was last seen on Monday, May 31 at 4:00 p.m., on the 2600 block of Belvedere Ln. in Lancaster. Hamilton is 6-feet-2 and weighs about 180lbs with black hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing a grey shirt and white basketball shorts. His family is very concerned, authorities said. Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Missing Persons Unit at (323) 890-5500. 
FOX 11

12-Year-Old Accused In Shootout With Volusia Deputies To Be Held In Secure Detention
The 12-year-old boy accused of firing rounds at Volusia County deputies will be held in secure detention for 21 days. On Thursday, the boy had his first court appearance in front of a judge. The judge ordered the 12-year-old to be held after finding probable cause on charges including attempted murder of law enforcement officers. The boy and a 14-year-old girl are accused of shooting at deputies for hours on Tuesday in a home that Sheriff Mike Chitwood said they broke into. "This went on for hours. This wasn't a split second, we exchange gunfire. We were out here from 7:30 until 9 o'clock until we returned fire," Chitwood said. Crews responded to the scene of the shooting incident at a property at 1050 Enterprise Osteen Road in Enterprise Tuesday night, officials said. According to officials, the two juveniles broke into a house and used multiple weapons found inside to open fire on responding deputies.
WESH 2

Public Safety News

LA County Again Pushes Vaccinations As Case Rates Continue To Drop
With state and local incentives up for grabs, Los Angeles County health officials again urged residents to get vaccinated against COVID-19 to continue downward trends in infections and deaths. "Our metrics continue to improve, and we continue to see declines in cases, hospitalizations and deaths," county Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said Tuesday. "Vaccinations are saving lives, and I ask each of you to continue keeping yourself, your friends and your family members safe by getting vaccinated if you haven't done so already. We end this pandemic with vaccinations." Through Thursday, at all the county-run vaccination sites, city sites and the St. John's Well Child and Family Center sites, everyone 18 and older getting their first COVID-19 vaccine will have an opportunity to win a pair of tickets to the 2021-2022 home season of either the LA Kings or the LA Galaxy. Two residents will be awarded prizes.
NBC 4

More California Counties Allowed To Reopen Their Economies As COVID-19 Fades
As the coronavirus pandemic recedes, California is continuing to reopen its economy. In the penultimate weekly update of the state's COVID-19 reopening roadmap, four more counties — Marin, Monterey, San Benito and Ventura — moved into the least restrictive yellow tier. Counties within that category, of which there are now 19, can allow most businesses to operate indoors with some safeguards. Reaching that level requires counties to record for two consecutive weeks an adjusted daily case rate of fewer than 2 per 100,000 people, a rate of positive test results of less than 2%, and a less than 2.2% rate of positive test results in communities heavily impacted by the virus. Another four counties — Nevada, Sacramento, San Joaquin and Solano — also progressed Tuesday into the orange tier, the second-least restrictive tier on the reopening ladder. Thirty-five of California's 58 counties are now in the orange tier. Four remain in the more restrictive red tier, but none are in the strictest purple tier.
Los Angeles Times

Local Government News

LA Mayor Eric Garcetti Approves $11.2B City Budget
Mayor Eric Garcetti Wednesday approved the city's $11.2 billion budget for the 2021-22 fiscal year, a budget he said provides unprecedented funding for homelessness and other social service programs to support the city's most vulnerable populations. “This budget is about more than recovering from a once in a generation crisis; it's about bending the arc of our city's history in the direction of greater equity and justice,” Garcetti said. “This moment demands nothing less than our most courageous efforts to lift up those in need, and this budget charts a course to meeting our highest ambitions, restoring what we've lost, and building on what makes Los Angeles the best city in the world.” The budget includes more than $1.7 billion for the Los Angeles Police Department, a 3% increase from last year; a total of $955 million to address the city's homelessness crisis; $62 million to help tourism and hospitality businesses; $33 million for the Gang Reduction and Youth Development Program; $30 million to expand the city's solar energy and electric vehicle charging infrastructure; and $29 million for a guaranteed basic income pilot program.
CBS 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About the LAPPL Formed in 1923, the Los Angeles Police Protective League (LAPPL) represents the more than 9,900 dedicated and professional sworn members of the Los Angeles Police Department. The LAPPL serves to advance the interests of LAPD officers through legislative and legal advocacy, political action and education. The LAPPL can be found on the Web at:

www.LAPD.com


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~