Texting, handheld phones: Distracted-driving crackdown coming in April
by Gary Richards
Next month, thousands of cops will fan out across California in a massive crackdown on drivers texting or talking on handheld phones.
And oh, will they be busy, as so many drivers just don't seem to care that these growing forms of distracted driving have been illegal for nearly five years.
New data from police statewide show they issued 425,041 tickets last year for talking on handheld phones -- down about 35,000 from the previous year but still a 41 percent increase from 2009, the first full year of the cellphone ban.
Numbers were much smaller for texting citations: 21,059 in 2012. But that's a 41.5 percent increase from the previous year and a stunning 640 percent surge since 2009. And it's texting that concerns police the most; it's more dangerous because it takes drivers' eyes off the road, and it's harder to ticket because it's easier to hide.
"Surprised, no. Dismayed, yes," said Chris Cochran, a spokesman for the California Office of Traffic Safety. "After the intense media, public awareness and enforcement campaigns that have been mounted the past four years, we would hope to see a turnaround."
A study released last week ?by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that 69 percent of U.S. drivers say they talk on their cellphones and about one in three read or send texts or emails while driving.
Former Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood called cellphone use and texting "a national epidemic." In 2011, 3,331 people were killed and 400,000 injured in crashes blamed on distracted driving.
The National Transportation Safety Board has called for a ban on cellphone use by drivers, including the use of hands-free phones. Most studies show hands-free conversations are just as distracting to drivers as those involving handheld phones.
Drivers complain that texting motorists pose a significant risk by veering into other lanes or not seeing pedestrians or bicyclists as they take their eyes off the road to read or send messages. Some studies have shown that a driver texting can travel the length of a football field at 55 mph without looking up.
At the least, texting drivers can be an irritant when they remain stopped at intersections when lights turn green, or when they drive 45 mph on the freeway.
An April crackdown on distracted driving has become an annual tradition. Last year, police across the state wrote almost 61,000 cellphone and texting tickets in April, up from the 52,000 tickets issued in April 2011 and more than double the usual monthly tally.
This year, there likely will be more, said Alameda County sheriff's Sgt. Tom Rodrigues, who hands out as many as 10 such tickets a day.
"I am amazed as to how many people still use the cell every day," he said. "People don't get it. I think that the fine should be $500 for the first violation. This might wake people up."
Livermore Officer Traci Rebiejo said the number of texters is most likely far higher than the citation tally suggests. She said spotting someone texting is difficult because drivers usually hold their phones near their laps.
"It's a hard ticket to write," she said. "Most of us think it's far more widespread."
A cellphone or texting ticket costs $159, much less than the roughly $500 penalty for running a red light or cheating in a carpool lane. When Santa Clara County Supervisor Joe Simitian was a state senator, he twice introduced bills to raise the fine and make it a moving violation. Both times Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed the bill. A new proposal would increase the fine to $199 for a first offense and to $371 for a second.
"It's unfortunate the governor did not raise the fine," said Simitian, who introduced the original ban that took effect July 1, 2008. "People may not think it's that risky of a behavior, or they won't be caught or that the fine is not that excessive."
Last week, Rodrigues wrote a citation to a woman texting while he rode right next to her on his loud Harley-Davidson motorcycle in Castro Valley. She never saw him until he ordered her to the curb.
Her excuse, Rodrigues said: "She is busy at work and needs to text to get her job done."
But some who text or use a handheld phone don't believe it's any riskier than talking with a hands-free phone, fooling with the radio or chatting with a passenger.
Christopher Schrader, a 29-year-old consultant from San Jose, said the uproar is "crap" that only gets a lot of attention because other motorists can see those using their phones.
"Of course, no one even attempts to blame bad driving on something when the cellphone isn't present," he said. "I personally still drive while talking on my cellphone, and I don't feel distracted in any way. And even crazier, I sometimes even text when I feel it is safe. I've never been in an accident in 13 years of driving and have always used my phone during that time. I personally don't find it difficult to put my focus on the road and have a conversation."
Other motorists say that's crazy. "I am so tired of seeing people do it day after day," said Lisa Mendoza, of San Jose, who said she once spotted a woman texting and tried to suggest she should quit it. "When I motioned that she should stop, she flipped me off."
Why the number of cellphone tickets issued last year declined is not clear, Cochran said. "We would like to think that fewer people are using handheld cellphones, perhaps switching to hands-free or not using at all, but we have no evidence as yet."
But he fears the total number of citations could surpass a half-million this year and go on rising for years to come.
"It just points out the allure of the technology, how it has made its way into our lives, and how we can't expect a fast turnaround," he said. "It took efforts for seat belts and against drunk driving 30-plus years."
Ohio Attorney General Seeks Grand Jury Probe in Teen Rape
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said he's asking a state court to convene a grand jury to consider evidence of broader complicity in the sexual assault of a teenage girl by two high-school football players last year.
The defendants, Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond, yesterday were found delinquent, the equivalent of guilty, by Judge Thomas Lipps in a juvenile court proceeding in Steubenville, Ohio.
Charges against each included rape by digital penetration and kidnapping of a 16-year-old, De Wine said yesterday in a statement. Mays was also accused of disseminating nudity-oriented materials of a juvenile.
“Every rape is a tragedy. This is tragedy,” the attorney general said. Agents of his office interviewed almost 60 people in connection with the incident, which involved two house parties. Sixteen people refused to be interviewed, he said.
DeWine said his office's Bureau of Criminal Investigation also analyzed almost 400,000 text messages, more than 300,000 photos, 940 video clips and more than 3,000 calls.
Richmond's lawyer, Walter Madison of Akron, Ohio, said he would appeal the ruling.
“He is delinquent. Only adults are guilty,” Madison said yesterday in a telephone interview. “The distinction is important because guilty suggests he's committed a crime. He's been found delinquent of an act that if he was an adult would have been considered a crime.”
That act, the attorney said, was one of digital penetration of the teen victim. The kidnapping charge was dropped in October, he said.
Brian Duncan, the lawyer for Mays, didn't immediately return voice-mail and e-mail messages yesterday seeking comment.
DeWine said he sought a grand jury to meet on or about April 15 to hear evidence of whether other crimes were committed.
“I anticipate numerous witnesses will be called to testify,” he said. Convening such a panel doesn't necessarily mean additional charges will be filed, he said.
Mays, 17, and Richmond, 16, both members of the Steubenville High School football team, each apologized in court yesterday, the Associated Press reported. Lipps ordered each held in a juvenile detention facility for at least one year. The juvenile system could hold them until age 21. Both must register as juvenile sex offenders.
Madison said his client will receive credit for time served.
“He's 16. Nine and one-half months from now seems like forever,” the attorney said. “He's going to get through this.”
The case ignited debate beyond the boundaries of Steubenville because of the status accorded high-school football players in the town of 18,000 on the banks of the Ohio River.
Steubenville High School won the last of its nine state championships in 2006. The Big Red rank third all-time in Ohio with 746 wins and 305 losses in 110 seasons. The school has a 48-21 record in post-season play, the seventh-best mark in Ohio, and head coach Reno Saccoccia has amassed a 311-56 record in 31 years with the school, according to its website.
“This has been particularly hard for the victim and her family,” DeWine said. “As I said already, any rape is a tragedy. But it is even more of a tragedy when that victim is continually re-victimized in the social media.”
Tricked-Out Ride Highlights Community Policing
The Cinnaminson Police Department's community policing officer says his new vehicle 'does turn a lot of heads'—and more importantly, it's got people talking.
by Rob Scott
Even for the police department, brand recognition is important.
That's the idea behind the Cinnaminson Police Department's newly tricked-out community policing vehicle.
Officer Michael Czarzasty, who heads up the department's community policing programs, came up with the idea of snazzing up one of the department's SUVs as a way to give the programs a sort-of rolling advertisement.
"The idea behind the truck was to show all of our programs that we do in the schools and throughout the community, and kind of emphasize the fact that we're proud of what we do and show it off, and also have a car that everybody wants to look at," said Czarzasty.
"It does turn a lot of heads."
The vehicle—which was already Czarzasty's regular patrol vehicle—has only been on the road for about three weeks since having the work done, so it's hard to tell whether it's having the desired impact yet.
But he said it's got people talking. More importantly, it's got people talking to him.
"A lot of people don't know about the community policing aspect of what we do," he said. "And it draws people in. I've had people (come up) who wouldn't normally approach me, and ask me about it."
The vehicle showcases many of the department's community policing programs, including Click It or Ticket, National Night Out and the youth police academy.
The hood features the Cinnaminson Police badge, with "1927" airbrushed in. According to Czarzasty, that's the earliest he could find evidence for a township police officer, by the name of George Dorwerth.
As with the department's DARE car, the community policing vehicle is the product of donated work from area businesses, including:
Killer Kreations, out of South Philadelphia, which did the artwork and airbrushing
Lenny's Towing, in Delran, took care of the body work.
The wheels are tires were done by FinishLine Auto Salon and Clear Star Media in Maple Shade.
PPG donated the paint for the airbrushing.
Altogether, the work done to the SUV would have cost around $10,000-12,000, according to Czarzasty. Without the generosity of the sponsors, "it would never happen."
Unlike the DARE car though, which the department only breaks out for special events, Czarzasty's new ride will be part of the regular rotation of patrol vehicles.
"It's going to be on the streets every day," he said. "We wanted it to be out there all the time."