New Orleans shooting: 19 shot at Mother's Day parade
Police today are searching for three suspects after 19 people, including two children, were shot in New Orleans on Sunday while watching a Mother's Day parade.
Ten men, seven woman, a girl and a boy both age 10 were hit when wild gunfire opened up at about 1:45 p.m. as the parade marched along North Villere Street, according to police spokesman Garry Flot.
Two victims are undergoing surgery, Flot said in a statement. The children were grazed and are in good condition, he said. It was unclear if the victims were marching or bystanders watching the parade.
Police superintendent Ronal Serpas told reporters that officers saw three suspects running away, with one about age 18 to 22. No arrests were made.
"It appears that these two or three people, for reasons unknown to us, started shooting at, towards or in the crowd," Serpas said, adding that the incident was over in "just a couple of seconds."
Serpas said a witness reported hearing two different types of gunshot, which he said indicated two weapons were involved.
Mayor Mitch Landrieu called the shooting part of "the relentless drum beat of violence" on the streets of New Orleans.
"It's a culture of violence that has enveloped the city for a long, long period of time," Landrieu told a news conference outside University Hospital, where three victims were being treated for serious injuries.
Photographs of the aftermath in the Times-Picayune newspaper showed a man lying on his stomach beside a pool of blood, being helped by two bystanders. Other photos showed a man in shorts sitting on a cobbled street, his calf bleeding and covered with a bandana.
Emergency medical responders took 11 people to Interim LSU Public Hospital in New Orleans, according to hospital spokesman Marvin McGraw
Violent crime in New Orleans ranks above the national average in FBI surveys. A poll of city residents in 2010 found crime to be their greatest concern.
In February, four people were wounded in a shooting outside a nightclub in the city's French Quarter as crowds gathered for Mardi Gras celebrations.
Ohio Suspect's Brothers: Hope He 'Rots in Jail'
The two brothers of the Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive for about a decade say they have no sympathy for him. One called him a "monster" who he hopes "rots in jail."
Onil and Pedro Castro told CNN that they want Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight to know how sorry they are for their ordeal.
"I'm just grateful they are home and out of that horrible house, and I'd just tell them I'm sorry for what Ariel done," said Pedro Castro, 50.
The brothers were initially taken into custody but released after investigators said there was no evidence against them. Brother Ariel Castro has been charged with rape and kidnapping and is being held on $8 million bond.
Pedro Castro says he was shocked to learn DeJesus was a victim, because they'd known her father for a long time, and Ariel even went to a vigil for her when she went missing.
"You go around like it was nothing? You even went to the vigil. You had posters. You give his momma a hug and you got his daughter captive?" Pedro recalled saying to Ariel.
Pedro Castro said he had been in the house but never noticed anything amiss. He said part of house was blocked off by curtains, and a radio or TV was always on.
Onil Castro, 50, said he wanted Ariel to "suffer in that jail to the last extent."
"I don't care if they even feed him," Onil Castro said. "The monster's a goner."
The brothers said they are worried that people will continue to associate them then with their brother's alleged crimes, even though police say they didn't know anything about it. They have received death threats since being released from custody.
"This has torn my heart apart," Onil Castro said. "This has killed me. I'm a walking corpse right now."
"I hope the world listens to us," Pedro Castro said. "You already got your monster, please give us our freedom."
Nashua Man Convicted and Sentenced to 18 Years for 22-Year-Old Murder
Extensive Cooperation Between Greek, U.S., and New Hampshire Authorities in Greek Court Conviction
New Hampshire Attorney General Michael A. Delaney, United States Attorney for the District of New Hampshire John P. Kacavas, Nashua Police Chief John J. Seusing, and FBI Supervisory Special Agent for New Hampshire Kieran L. Ramsey announced that Steven Kamberidis (age 45), who fled New Hampshire in 1991 to avoid sentencing for the murder of his 2-year-old stepson, James Chartier, has been convicted of the crime by a Greek Court and sentenced to 18 years' imprisonment.
Kamberidis was apprehended in Greece by the Hellenic National Police in February 2013, following tireless efforts by New Hampshire authorities, the FBI, the United States Attorney's Office for the District of New Hampshire, Department of Justice, the U.S. Embassy in Athens, and the Department of State. The Athens Criminal Court subsequently affirmed his conviction for the murder of James Chartier and on April 29, 2013, and the court sentenced Kamberidis to 18 years' imprisonment. Extensive collaboration between U.S. and Greek authorities in sharing the facts of the original investigation and the charging and court documents from New Hampshire was instrumental in Kamberidis' conviction in the Athens Criminal Court.
After Kamberidis' more than two decades on the run, his arrest and conviction in Greece underscore the tenacity of the New Hampshire law enforcement community to ensure that justice was served for James Chartier. We deeply appreciate the cooperation of the Greek authorities, in particular, the Greek Ministry of Citizens Protection, the Ministry of Justice, and the Hellenic National Police, in pursuing the case.
On November 19, 1989, Steven Kamberidis was arrested by members of the Nashua Police Department and charged with second-degree murder for the death of his stepson, James Chartier, age 2. Kamberidis was released on $50,000 bail with the conditions that he reside with his parents, that he be employed and that he report to the probation department monthly.
Kamberidis' trial began on May 13, 1991, in Hillsborough County Superior Court, Manchester, New Hampshire. While the defendant appeared at trial that day, he failed to appear on May 14, 1991. The jury began its deliberation on May 14 and on the following day found the defendant guilty of second-degree murder for the death of James Chartier. On October 18, 1991, the court sentenced Kamberidis in absentia to the New Hampshire State Prison for 30 years to life.
After Kamberidis failed to appear at his trial, the court issued a warrant for his arrest. On May 16, a complaint charging Kamberidis with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution in a violation of Title 18, United States Code, §1073, was filed by the FBI, in cooperation with the Nashua Police Department, in the United States District Court, District of New Hampshire.